1ShoppingCart would rule the eCommerce world if you just...

Remove "Province of China" from Taiwan in drop-down country list

In the drop-down list of countries at checkout, Taiwan is listed as a Province of China. We have gotten repeated complaints about that designation as it is a very fraught and controversial political issue, and many Taiwan residents (and our customers) object to that designation. In Taiwan, this is an extremely sensitive issue.

The Taiwan resident who has complained about this most vigorously told us that she has never encountered any online transaction page that says "Taiwan, province of China." If you go to any large transaction sites, like Amazon, etc., it only says Taiwan. Also, if you look at Hong Kong on your list, it doesn't say "Hong Kong, special administrative region of China." So, it doesn't really make sense, as adminstratively HK officially operates under China.

Either you inadvertently do not realize the sensitivity of this issue (which I suspect) or you have a political stand on this question (which I doubt). I would appreciate if it were corrected since it does cause issues and upset with some of our clients. Wikipedia indicates that the terms ""Taiwan, China" or "Taiwan, Province of China" are potentially ambiguous and politically controversial. (More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan,_China ) I would appreciate it if our customers weren't engaging in controversy while checking out through 1ShoppingCart.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Institute for Integrative Coaching shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base