1ShoppingCart would rule the eCommerce world if you just...

Option for partial refunds (not just per product)

We offer customers the option of a partial refund and they keep the product instead of them sending it back for a full refund.

We currently have to wait 30 days to mark it as refunded so that it has to be done manually and will not refund them the full amount. We then add a note in the memo field stating they were partially refunded.

It would be GREAT if there was an option to refund part of a product, or simply a set amount to refund.

Please look into this!!

140 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Solace International Inc.Solace International Inc. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Soul Art Studio Inc.Soul Art Studio Inc. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredible that this basic idea was suggested in October 2009 and has been "Under Review" since August 2013. Still not implemented. We are actively searching for another e-commerce provider because it's just too long to wait for something that should have been possible from the beginning.

• Matt HolkerMatt Holker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely crazy this hasn't been addressed yet. I see here that customers have been asking for this for years. One of the many reasons I have to insist that my business change our shopping cart platform.

• Touched and Transformed (TNT)Touched and Transformed (TNT) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! We make special deals with customers ALL THE TIME as part of customer service. And we also want the option of "charging" a processing fee for cancellations by adjusting the refund amount instead of refunding the full amount and then processing another charge! Please, please, please!

• Daniel T.Daniel T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is an alarming oversight. I have to make a note to myself to do it manually in Authorize.net once the transaction clears at the end of the day.

• craig stouffercraig stouffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Partial refund options are key in almost any business. As 'freebehaviorcharts' noted - you can do a partial refund in authorize.net but then there is no record of the transaction in shoppingcart.

• Alex ArmstrongAlex Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Especially when coupons are involved, this makes complete sense! An alternative for us might be to allow the application of a coupon code after the fact that initiates a partial refund.

• Pomegranate Consulting LLCPomegranate Consulting LLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this option, too. Sometimes customers purchase multiple items and I can combine them into a single package and save them shipping costs. Other times they have purchased my International Shipping option and I'd like to refund the domestic shipping costs that were automatically added onto their order. At this point, it is too late to offer the free shipping coupon you suggest, Michael.

As a merchant, there are times when I'd like to be able to offer a partial refund on a purchase -- sometimes because there was an unusual delay before the item shipped, there's some damage during shipping, etc. It would be great to be able to refund any portion of an order that I choose and it feels inanely restrictive to not allow me to do this. It prohibits me from offering superb customer service through my shopping cart.

• Dark Matter FilmsDark Matter Films commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for mentioning this. I totally agree. We only have one product, but like FreeBehavior, we have to wait a month to do the adjustment. I'd love it to say partial refund as we never refund S&H. Since we recur bill, this is currently not an option and definitely needs to be.

• FreeBehaviorCharts.comFreeBehaviorCharts.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We usually do these in Authorize.net, but then our 1ShoppingCart data doesn't reflect the partial refunds. This should be a high priority.

• RE Wholesaling EducationRE Wholesaling Education commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll vote for partial refunds too. Paypal offers this feature. It shouldn't be hard to implement,

I sell a physical home study course, and part of my refund/cancellation process is to offer a partial refund first which also allows them to keep the product.

• FullMoons Cauldron U.K.FullMoons Cauldron U.K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We agree. It's not normally as straight forward as having to refund the customer the full price of a product. We also need to be able to refund shipping charges or particle shipping charges.

• Red Dragon Fight CompanyRed Dragon Fight Company commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, agreed. This would be a great addition. Currently we charge a restocking fee for some items and some regional orders also incur taxes which are not possible to partially refund.

• USA KoiUSA Koi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes after an order has shipped I would like to refund the shipping only to the customer. There is an option to refund the product with or without the shipping but not the shipping only. I think this could be very useful and it would make things easier if this could be done from the control panel.

Feedback and Knowledge Base