1ShoppingCart would rule the eCommerce world if you just...

The SKU's section has a fundamental flaw, more than one option needs to be a unique sku

SKU's are traditionally used to track the number of products in stock. For the most part this works well on the website except when you have a product with two or more options. For Example, product Tshirt is a great product, but we have three sizes, (S,M,L). We also have 3 colors (Red, Green, Blue). The current method allows me to specify an SKU for a Small Tshirt, but there is no way to specify the SKU for a Small Blue Tshirt. This is unfortunate, since many companies have products with far greater options. Perhaps you could append the original SKU if an option is picked, so a the SKU for a small blue Tshirt could be: shirt-S-BL. In any case, this would make your shopping cart better.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
NicStick Inc. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DJR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So has this fix happened? Is there a way to show one item then have the inventory table affected properly when a customer selects a Medium, for example. I have different inventory levels relative to size and I don't want to show 5 shirts for each one. Help?

• Gary Whitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame, really, when the backend user interface 'suggests' a functionality that was only engineered 1 millimeter deep with no actual thought to the SKU being indexed in the database so they can be related. Then there's the (probably) refund issue that won't allow partial refunds. Money and inventory are evidently (stupidly) coupled in the database somehow and do not reflect real world retail. Not everybody is some multi-level marketer, you know.

But it's an ancient legacy database design error that is well past ignoring. That being said, I got tired of waiting and just reported out all my sales to Google Analytics and funny, I can now (a year later) report out sales figures back one year to my heart's content. Still can do a partial refund out of the cart, though....

• DoradoVista Inc. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this to make 1SC product tracking match 1:1 through the whole pipeline. Having reports, videos & DVD's for each product line breaks the ability to allow customer a simple SKU checkbox and be able to unwind all the sales data later. Ugh! Please fix soon.

• AdminJustin Bell (Director of Product Strategy, 1ShoppingCart.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This change has not been made in the system as there are some complications with the existing implementation of SKU's for products. The SKU field was initially implemented simply for you to add a SKU that would appear in order notices, invoices, etc. to help with fulfillment. As a result the filed was implemented as an optional field, which in turn limited the functional possibilities.

In addition there are complications with how SKU's are generated for products with multiple product options, which in turn limit how granular inventory can be tracked.

These challenges require a significant effort to solve and must be solved together in order to satisfy the requirements we've collected from our users. We hope to have the opportunity to prioritize this work on our roadmap in the coming months and appreciate everyone's continued support and feedback of this idea. The more we hear from users that this is important, the easier it will be for us to prioritize it against other initiatives that users are asking for.

Thanks everyone for the discussion and your votes! Looking forward to hearing more on how we can make SKU's work for you.

• SpongeCandy.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't matter if you assign SKU's to the first option anyway, as you can't report out SALES BY SKU. If you look at the inventory reports or the sales by item reports, they are actually reporting by the internally generated Product ID, which is the product without any options. Same for the "inventory control". SKU's have no relevance anywhere. That assigning SKU's business is just some so-called software engineer's incomplete, incompetent effort.

SO, a year ago when I reorganized my product line in the shopping cart from 20 products down to a more comprehensible 6 products with options and assigned SKU's to the product option values, little did I realize a year later I wouldn't be able to pull my sales data out of the database to forecast the coming Christmas season.

I suggested some sort of fix back in March: "Sales Reports or Analytics Reports needs SALES BY SKU" So far NADA....
    http://ideas.1shoppingcart.com/forums/20399-big-ideas/suggestions/2674544-sales-reports-or-analytics-reports-needs-sales-by-

• dainismichel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well, i just signed up for premium support, or whatever it's called, called 1SC and they pointed out the checkbox. i went through the KB, the dox, and searched online. i find it annoying when it looks like poor documentation "drives" customers to purchase more robust support packages. i searched for "inventory" i searched for "quantity," etc. as a "former" documentation professional, here's my take: "excellent documentation increases internal efficiency, enhances user satisfaction...and drives sales."

• dainismichel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is it possible that i can't control inventory with 1sc? i'm selling workshops with 20 seats. i've been searching around for a few hours and can't figure out how to limit the number of a product available. totally a deal-breaker for 1sc. gotta look for another alternative for myself and my clients if 1sc can't do this...i can't find "optional values - inventory" right now...i'll keep looking

• Thomas Laine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm adding duplicate items to my site to support different sizes and colors. Generally, my biggest complaint about 1SC is the stock management. I would also like to point out that the product export contains stock info, but the API does not; this would not be a big leap in coding but would make reinforce 1SC can manage stock.

• Surefire Fitness Bootcamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to happen soon. I'll be forced to look for another shopping cart if I can't track inventory on each option. I run fitness boot camps and need to cap each class at a certain number of people. If I oversell, it's bad news.

• Jeff Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would I want to appear to be unprofessional to my customers by selling them something I am out of stock on? An inventory option is a MUST, please.

• jp francia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please add inventory tracking by size!!!! I sell clothing for kids and cant live without this feature.

• Active Sports Ltd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this but can you even still do this basic level of inventory tracking? I couldn't see it under Product Optional Values.

• Ringold Nutritional Systems LLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, you should be able to assign each product a quantity that it represents in inventory. For example, I setup up different products for 1 bottle of vitamins, 2 bottles of vitamins, and 3 bottles of vitamins. If a customer purchases my 3 bottle product, I need it to take 3 bottles out of inventory.

Feedback and Knowledge Base